Thursday, July 11, 2019

Japanese Babies Smile and Look the Other Way

I was on the subway today. Near me was a Japanese family: father, mother, and their baby daughter in her baby carriage.

I smiled at the baby as she looked at me. She was first surprised to see a total stranger smiling at her. She then smiled at me. I smiled at her. I continued smiling at her. She could have been annoyed by me and looked the other way.

Some time ago, I happened to see an American baby in a baby carriage. I smiled at her. She smiled back at me. I kept my smile for some more time. She did not look the other way.

So, what is the difference? Are Japanese babies shy and the American babies not? Are babies shy at all?

Why do Japanese babies look the other way while American babies do not? Maybe this difference has nothing to do with shyness but is more culturally profound.

No comments: