Thursday, July 25, 2019

Chatty vs. Non Chatty Students

A student of mine told me yesterday that the classroom was cold. Yes, it was. But his intention was not to complain about the room temperature but to chat with me. Yes, it would take a Japanese person two months to relax and chat with his English instructor. 

In another class with non-Japanese persons, I had the opposite experience. The ice melted in 30 minutes.  My students talked nonstop until the end of the class. 

The next day, I received a complaint: the students did not learn much. 

Now, my question is, "Which is better between Japanese people who would wait two months to know that it is OK to relax and chat with their English instructor or non-Japanese people who would chat from the beginning and learn little?"

My answer is first.

No comments: